Neuweiler Brewery (Endangered)
Opened by Louis F. Neuweiler and Son on April 28, 1913, this sprawling industrial site was the home of the beer locals knew of as “nix besser” (“none better” in German) and is a shell of its former self. Designed by Philadelphia architects Peukert and Wunder, the stately brick buildings at Front and Gordon streets in Allentown have been decaying since 1968 when the brewery closed under the burden of a large debt. The City of Allentown has had the long-vacant property in its sites for condemnation. Most recently, back in May, 2005, the site was purchased at a Sheriff’s Sale by Joe Clark, former owner of the Allentown nightclub Crocodile Rock; however, days later the ex-owner stated he would pay the back taxes owed on the site. The site is in danger of demolition because of the huge expenses associated with the rehabilitation of the property. Recently Ruckus Brewing secured the funding to rehabilitate the building and turn it, at least in part, back into a functioning brewery. The Allentown Preservation League is rooting for them!