This handsome art deco building at 5th and Hamilton was opened in 1934, replacing an older post office building at 6th and Turner built in 1907. Architect H.F. Everett (of Jacoby & Everett) told The Morning Call on Aug. 3, 1932, that the government had hopes of relieving unemployment and had asked that local labor be used in the building's construction.
The distinctive local history murals were added to the post office in 1937, when architect Ochs wanted to localize the lobby by adding distinctive art. The government chose Gifford Reynolds Beal, one of the country's leading muralists, who then talked to local historians.
Among the scenes depicted are Allentown's First Defenders marching off to the Civil War in 1861, Trout Hall (the home of James Allen), Zion Reformed Church receiving the Liberty Bell, which was hidden there during the Revolution, and Kimmets Lock on the Lehigh Canal. Highly regarded in their own time and still respected today, Beal's murals are among the most important artistic aspects of the building.